You will need
- Cupcakes, double the number of mini cakes you want to make
- SK Sugar Modelling Paste: Balloon Red, Sea Blue and Summer Yellow
- SK Essentials Edible Glue
- SK Sugarpaste: Mocha Cream
- Brand new sponge scourer
- SK Professional Liquid Food Colour: Chestnut
- SK Airbrush Food Colour: Dynamic Black
Covering the Cakes
- Remove the remaining cupcakes from their cases and level the tops (A). Spread a small amount of buttercream onto the top of one cupcake. Place a second cupcake on top. Repeat to sandwich the remaining cupcakes together and allow the buttercream to set.
- Roll out the Balloon Red modelling paste to a 3mm (⅛”) thickness and cut out a 9cm x 20cm (3½” x 7⅞”) strip.
- Brush the back of the strip with a little cooled, boiled water and wrap it around the stacked cupcakes (B). Cut away any excess at the back so the two ends meet neatly and secure with a little edible glue. Set the covered cake aside to firm for one hour.
- Repeat steps 2–3 to cover the remaining cakes with Summer Yellow and Sea Blue modelling paste.
Adding the Sand
- Roll out 50g (1¾oz) of Mocha Cream sugarpaste to a 4mm (3/16”) thickness and cut out a 6.5cm (2½”) disc. Place the disc on top of one of the buckets and gently press down to adhere. Use the rough side of a brand new sponge scourer to add texture to the sugarpaste (C). Repeat to add a sugarpaste disc to all of the cupcakes.
- Half-fill the airbrush cup with Chestnut liquid food colour and spray a thin layer of colour over the sandy areas.
Making the Handles
- Roll out the offcuts of each colour of modelling paste to a 2mm (1/16”) thickness and cut out a 1cm x 10cm (⅜” x 4”) strip from each one.
- Lay the strips over a curved object the same diameter as the top of the cupcakes and leave them to firm for 20 minutes.
- Once the handles are firm, fix them in place on the rims of the buckets using edible glue.
Making the Spades
- Roll out the remaining Balloon Red modelling paste to a 2mm (1/16”) thickness. Use a craft knife to cut out the shape of a spade’s handle. Cut away the centre of the handle (D). Set the spade aside to firm for 20 minutes. Repeat using the Summer Yellow and Sea Blue modelling paste.
- Once the spades are firm, push them into the sand at the top of the cupcake, being sure to use contrasting colours.
- Half-fill the airbrush cup with Dynamic Black airbrush food colour and use it to add shading to each bucket and spade.
This tutorial by Laura Dodimead is taken from the August/September 2017 issue of Cakes & Sugarcraft magazine, on sale now. Download the Cakes & Sugarcraft app on your phone, tablet or PC to get the rest of the project, and many more.
Apple device? Download from the App Store.
Android device? Download from Google Play.