- Softened butter: 180g (6¼oz)
- Caster Sugar: 180g (6¼oz)
- SK Professional Plain Flour: 150g (5¼oz)
- Ground almonds: 55g (2oz)
- Eggs: 3, large
- Vanilla Extract: ¼tsp
- Almond extract: ½tsp
- Amaretto liquor: 1tbsp (optional)
- Pink food colouring
- Cherry jam
- SK Marzipan
- Baking paper
- Tin foil
- Baking tin: 20cm x 20cm (8” x 8”)
- Mixing bowls: 3
- Electric mixer
- Non-stick rolling pin
Making The Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F/Gas Mark 4).
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 20cm x 20cm (8” x 8”) baking tin. Fold a piece of foil and baking paper the same size of the tin, then place both in the centre of the tin lengthways to create a divide.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the ground almonds, eggs and flour and mix together well. Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into two separate bowls, add the almond extract and amaretto to one bowl and add the pink food colouring to the other.
- Place the mixture in the tin: pink on one side and plain on the other. Level the top and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the sponge comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set aside to cool. Once cooled, turn out and level the sponges. Trim the edges and cut into two equal pieces, so you have two plain and two pink sponges exactly the same size.
Covering The Cake:
- Roll out the marzipan on your worktop using a non-stick rolling pin.
- Heat up your jam slightly and, using a spatula, smooth the jam over the top and sides of one plain piece of sponge. Stick one pink sponge to the side of it. Top with the pink sponge in the same way, then add the final plain almond sponge so you have a chequered effect.
- Smooth a thin layer of jam all over the long sides, then wrap the sponge up in the rolled-out marzipan, leaving the seam at the bottom.
- Neaten up the edges by trimming, and pinch the top edges to decorate.
For more information on how to get involved in Macmillan’s Coffee Morning on 24th September, or whenever suits you, sign up here: Macmillan Cancer Support's Coffee Morning