Makes 12 cupcakes. Prep time: 12 minutes. Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Unsalted butter: 125g (4 1/2oz), softened
- Caster Sugar: 125g (4 1/2oz)
- Lemons: 1, grated rind
- Eggs: 2, beaten
- SK Professional Self Raising Flour: 150g, sieved
- Orange: 1
- Candied peel: 1tsp, finely chopped
- Unsalted butter: 150g (5 1/4oz), softened
- Icing Sugar: 300g (10 1/2oz), sieved
- Lemon: 1
- Orange zest, to decorate
- Muffin tray: 12-hole
- Muffin cases
- Mixing bowl
- Electric whisk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350˚F/ Gas Mark 4). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric whisk to cream together the butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy.
- Cut your orange in half and squeeze only one half into the mixing bowl.
- Fold in the flour and candied peel using a wooden spoon or spatua, then divide the mixture between the muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until risen and lightly golden. Remove from the oven and, once cooled slightly, turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a clean mixing bowl, cream together the butter, icing sugar and the juice of one lemon until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Spread the smooth icing over each cupcake and top each one with some zested orange rind.
Recipe and images from Joy Skipper Alzheimers Society, Cupcake Day 2021