Decorative DoughnutsSquires Kitchen Shop
- 7g (just under ¼oz) dried yeast
- 60ml (2fl oz) warm water
- 350ml (13¼ fl oz) warm milk
- 625g (1lb 6oz) plain flour
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 70g (2½oz) unsalted butter
- 1lt (1¾ pints) vegetable oil
- Round cutters: 2.5cm and 6.5cm (1" and 2½")
- Cooking thermometer
- SK Fondant Icing Mix
- SK Quality Food Colour (QFC) Liquid: colour of choice
- Edible topping of your choice
- Mix the yeast with the warm water. Place the milk, flour, sugar, salt, eggs, softened butter and yeast solution in a mixer with a dough hook and knead for five minutes until the dough is glossy and has formed a ball.
- Cover the bowl in cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough on a coloured surface to a 1.5cm (½”) thickness. Cut out circular discs with a 6.5cm (2½”) cutter then cut out a hole from the middle of each one using a 2.5cm (1”) cutter.
- Place them on a floured tray, cover with oiled cling film and leave until they double in size.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until it reaches 170°C (325°F).
- Carefully place one or two doughnuts (depending on the size of the pan) in the oil, cooking on each side for 2–3 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from the pan and leave on kitchen paper to soak up the oil and cool.
- Make up the fondant icing mix, add some liquid food colour. Pour out your chosen topping onto a plate.
- Dip one half of the doughnut into the fondant, allow any excess to run off back into the bowl then dip it into the topping.
You’ll find some great step-by-step tutorials and many more from top cake designers in the December/January 2016–17 issue of Cakes & Sugarcraft magazine, out now. It’s packed with the latest trends and original, easy-to-follow tutorials that you won’t find anywhere else.
Cakes & Sugarcraft is published six times a year in January, March, May, July, September and November – subscribe today to save 20% on cover price and receive the latest issue!
Plus! Don't miss out on more tips, beautiful cakes and great savings - sign up to our newsletter today: