Indulgent Black Forest GateauSquires Kitchen Shop
- 50g (1¾oz) unsalted butter
- 200g (7oz) whole eggs (approx. 4 large eggs)
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 75g (2½oz) plain flour
- 25g (just over ¾oz) SK Extra Brute Cocoa Powder
- 20.5cm (8") square tin or 10 x 5cm (2½") round mini cake pans
- 500ml (8fl oz) double cream, whipped
- 200g (7oz) cherry jam
- 250g (8¾oz) dark chocolate shavings
- Large piping bag
- Savoy Star piping nozzle
- 10-20 fresh cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4).
- Grease and line a 20.5cm (8") square tin or 10 mini cake rings with butter and baking parchment.
- Melt the butter, taking care not to burn it. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar until light and airy, like a foamy meringue.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the mixing bowl then fold in with a spatula.
- When you have nearly finished, pour in the melted butter and finish folding, taking care not to knock out all the air.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-lined tin or mini rings. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes for the large tin or 15 minutes for the small ones.
- When the cakes are baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the 20.5cm (8") square cake in half, then cut both halves into two layers. Cut the mini cakes into three layers. Sandwich the layers together with whipped cream and cherry jam.
- Spread whipped cream over the side of the cakes and cover with chocolate shavings. Decorate the top with piped rosettes of whipped cream around the edge and garnish with cherries.
- Apple curls and custard tart
- Ultimate chocolate torte
- Chocolate Yule log (with a tropical twist!)
- Toffee popcorn cupcakes
You’ll find some great step-by-step tutorials and much more from top cake designers in the December/January 2016–17 issue of Cakes & Sugarcraft magazine, out now. It’s packed with the latest trends and original, easy-to-follow tutorials that you won’t find anywhere else.
Cakes & Sugarcraft is published six times a year in January, March, May, July, September and November – subscribe today to save 20% on cover price and receive the latest issue!
Plus! Don't miss out on more tips, beautiful cakes and great savings - sign up to our newsletter today: