- Condensed milk: 397g (14oz)
- Double cream: 550g (1lb 3¾oz)
- Vanilla Extract: 1tsp
- Strawberries: 150g (5¼oz)
- Strawberry jam: 100g (3½oz)
- Strawberries, to decorate
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor
- Cling film
- Baking tin: 22cm x 33cm (8½” x 13”)
- Greaseproof paper
Making The Ice-Cream:
- Whisk condensed milk, cream and vanilla to soft peaks.
- Whizz the strawberries in a food processor and then fold it into the ice-cream mixture.
- Roll out two pieces of cling film onto your worktop, then dollop the ice-cream mixture in a line that’s a little longer than the width of your 22cm x 33cm (8½” x 13”) baking tin.
- Fold the cling film around the ice-cream and twist the ends to look like a Christmas cracker. Roll the ice-cream back and forth on your worktop to tighten the cling film.
- Place the ice-cream in the freezer overnight to set.
Making The Sponge:
- Grease and line a 22cm x 33cm (8½” x 13”) tin. Remove the ice-cream from te freezer and place it to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F/Gas Mark 4).
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and light. Sift the flour into the mixture and gently fold to keep the air in.
- Pour the mixture gently into the tin and level it by tilting the tin from side-to-side, making sure it reaches into the corners. Bake for 10–15 minutes.
- Remove the sponge from the oven and leave to cool down slightly, then turn out onto a large piece of greaseproof paper. Unwrap the ice-cream from the cling film and place it on the shortest end of the sponge. Use the paper to help tease the sponge around the ice-cream.
- With the seam facing downwards, wrap in the paper and then some cling film. Pop the cake in the freezer for a couple of hours to harden.
- When ready to serve, place the arctic roll on a serving board. Sift a little icing sugar all over.
- Heat the jam up a little to loosen, then add on top of the sponge and encourage it to drip down the cake, add the strawberries to the top of the cake. Slice and enjoy!
For more information on how to get involved in Macmillan’s Coffee Morning on 24th September, or whenever suits you, sign up here: Macmillan Cancer Support's Coffee Morning